Friday, May 13, 2016
Education & Outreach Summer Assistant position
Boone Street Farm and Whitelock Community Farm are community supported urban farming projects in Baltimore. These projects aim to provide affordable, sustainable fresh food in their neighborhoods and promote healthy eating habits, greening and positive community activity.
These farms are both members of the Farm Alliance of Baltimore City and grow produce for neighborhood farm stands, CSA’s, the Waverly Farmer’s market, and local restaurants.
We are seeking a dynamic individual to act as an Education and Outreach Summer Assistant for the 2016 season. The Education and Outreach Summer Assistant will work alongside farm staff and volunteers to implement educational programming within our communities. They will be exposed to a broad range of activities that go into establishing a community farm as a neighborhood institution. They will also become familiar with sustainable growing practices through hands-on experience.
- This job starts in June and ends in mid-August. The education and outreach summer assistant will work 30 hours per week for 10 weeks. Requires availability Mon- Fri.
- Assist daily with implementing YouthWorks program for 6 weeks - brainstorm and plan activities designed to introduce youth to farm tasks and the citywide local food movement.
- Co-facilitate garden/farm activities, cooking classes, and educational workshops with neighborhood youth
- Assist with advertising and running educational community workshops
- Advertise farm events and outreach to community
- Provide leadership and act as a role model for all youth program participants
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Submit resume and cover letter by Friday May 27th
- Responsible for their transportation to work and must show up on time
- Previous youth work experience is preferred, teaching experience is a plus
- Previous farm experience is a plus but not required
- Able to complete manual labor including sitting, bending, lifting, and/or moving items weighing from 20-50+ pounds
- Must be comfortable working outside in various weather conditions for extended periods of time
- Must be flexible and energetic, and have good decision making skills and a strong work ethic
- Take home farm produce as available
- Opportunity to be an integral part of a community focused organization
Wednesday, March 2, 2016
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Friday, February 12, 2016
In order to participate in the Urban Agriculture and Environmental Landscaping program you must:
- Be 15-18 years old, a Baltimore City resident and enrolled in a public Baltimore high school
- Complete an online registration through YouthWorks by March 4th https://youthworks.oedworks.com/#youth
- Present a social security card, birth certificate and valid state photo identification in a youthworks interview and pass a criminal history background check if you are 18+.
- Attend a working interview at Boone Street Farm (a staff member will call to schedule an interview)
- Obtain a work permit, separate from YouthWorks work permit (you can request a work permit from your principal’s or guidance counselor’s office)
- Fill out an application and medical forms by March 4th. Application available here
- Be able to commit to an 8 week program without a break for vacation.
Monday, November 30, 2015